Who doesn’t love a good pie? Come on, we’re kiwis.
Since arriving in London to a fairly cold Winter (for me), I’ve been looking for some heartwarming classics that are easy to prepare and taste great too.
This recipe is very simple, and tastes absolutely delicious. You can top it with puff pastry, filo, mashed potato or kumara (sweet potato), or simply spoon into a couple of bowls. This one is worth trying! Enjoy.
Creamy Chicken and Leek Pie
- 1 tbsp butter or oil spray
- 650 grams chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 4 leeks, thickly sliced
- 2 tbsp flour
- 250 grams chicken stock
- 100 ml cream
- 3 tbsp tarragon, chopped
- Puff or filo pastry (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Spray a large frying pan with oil and set over a high heat.
- Add the chicken and cook for 2-3 minutes; turn often until browned all over. Transfer to a bowl.
- Cook the leeks over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Cover with a lid, reduce the heat, and gently cook for 2-3 minutes, until very soft.
- Return the chicken to the pan and increase the heat to high.
- Sprinkle the flour into the pan and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly so that the flour coats the chicken and leeks.
- Gradually add the chicken stock, stirring all the time. Bring to the boil, then stir in the cream, tarragon and parsley. Season well.
- Reduce the heat and gently simmer until thickened. Remove from heat and let cool. Spoon the mixture and ovenproof dish.
- Fold pastry over the top of the pie and gently press down around the edges with the tines of a fork to seal.
- Put the pie dish on a baking tray and cook in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes until the pastry is golden.
- Serve with a coleslaw, or salad.